Friday, January 6, 2012

Cow & the Moon

Ever had to balance on the curb of Victoria St Darlinghurst trying not to get pushed into traffic by the Hipster masses just to get a Gelato from Messina?? Well no more! Walking up to Cow and the Moon you hear so many "Ooohs and Ahhs" you would think there are fireworks about. 


Cow & amp; the Moon on Enmore Rd did great guns at Sydney Royal Easter Show 2011 getting the Grand Champion Exhibition award with 4 Gold and 8 silver ribbons, the sign stating just that finally pulled me in the door. 'Lime in the Coconut' received a score of 19.00 out of 20 making it Best Gelato at 2011 show.

Scores are based on Flavour out 10, Texture out of 6 and Appearance out of 4. Other big flavour winners were the Fig & Caramalised Walnut (19.00), Passionfruit Creme (18.67) and Sticky Date Crumble (18.17). I didn't have any of these as I wanted something different.


Gelato isn't the only thing on the menu here. There is an assortment of tiny chocolate, pastry/pie things and macaroons! If you're thirsty they also cater for that.


Quite a busy store with seating inside and a few tables outside if that takes your fancy. It's fairly busy at 9pm on a Friday night when I was there and manage to make my way to the counter dodging people holding out spoons urging their friends to "Try this it's the best" only for the friend to counter act with their own.


I was served by a lovely lady who complimented my necklace from Polli (Thank you!) and ordered a cup of Blackcurrant & Boysenberry and Cafe Lait. The berry one was crisp and fresh and had distinct fruity flavours but never really having a whole lot of either berry I can't say as to whether the flavour was authentic or not. It was tops though and I would definitely get it again as it was really quite refreshing without being too icy in texture. The coffee was creamy and smooth but I really expected to to be a bit punchier with the coffee tones, mainly because in the cabinet there were beans sprinkled on top. There was good consistent flavour with a slight hint of coffee and I enjoyed it far more than other coffee essence ice-creams. Maybe it is just that I am used to fake coffee desserts.


I think my serving was about $5. The menu board has orders of small, medium and large rather than the usual cup serving, I prefer this serving method. This is my new favourite dessert place. Better than a Frosty Fruit - big claim.

-A

No comments:

Post a Comment